I’m continuing with the Christmas spirit, and I am sharing with y’all the recipe for vegan coquito. It’s not Christmas in Puerto Rico without coquito. Whether you like it with rum or without, this sweet, coconut-based drink is delicious. Without rum it is kid-friendly, although it’s very sugary, so only a bit at a time!
This recipe calls for condensed milk, but there are vegan options! There is a popular coconut milk-based option, and a soy milk-based option. It seems that the coconut-based one is more popular. However, since this recipe is coconut-based, I did not want to keep laying on the coconut. So I prefer the soy “condensed milk”. I know that a supermarket here in Austin (HEB) carries the soy “condensed milk”, so you can probably get it store-bought. But if you can’t find it, or just prefer to make it from scratch, I found this recipe and swapped the coconut milk for soy milk (see below for my take on it). It turned out great.
Making the Condensed “Milk”
To make this vegan version of condensed “milk”, you will just need soy milk and organic cane sugar. To make a bit more than 14 oz (about the same size as a regular condensed milk can), use three cups of soy milk and 1 1/3 cup of sugar. Mix them together in a saucepan, on low heat, until the sugar melts, about three minutes. Then bring it to a simmer, and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Be careful not to boil it or else the milk will boil over and make a mess. Do not stir during the 30 minutes, or else it can crystalize. After the 30 minutes are up, the milk should be a greyish brown color. Pour into a glass jar and put an air-tight lid after it has cooled. Store in fridge.
Making the Vegan Coquito
To make the coquito, blend one can of coconut milk (14 oz), one can of coconut cream (14 oz), one cup of the soy condensed “milk”, ½ tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and ¾ cups rum or to taste, using a large blender (I use this Ninja one). If you are not using rum, use ½ cup of condensed “milk” instead. It is very sweet and rum cuts out that heavy sweetness. Serve chilled, with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Buen provecho! 😉
- 14 oz coconut milk (1 can)
- 14 oz coconut cream (1 can)
- 1 cup soy condensed milk 1/2 cup if not using rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup white rum optional
Soy Condensed "Milk"
- 3 cups soy milk unsweetened
- 1 1/3 cups organic sugar
- Using a blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. Make sure there are no chunks.
- Serve chilled with a sprinkle of cinnamon
Soy Condensed "Milk"
- Mix the soy milk and sugar in a saucepan on low heat, stirring often until all the sugar melts; about 3 - 5 minutes
- Bring milk and sugar to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes. Be careful not to bring it to a high boil or it will spill over, making a mess. Do not stir the milk while it is simmering as it may crystalize.
- After 30 minutes, it should be a greyish brown color. Pour it into a glass jar and leave to cool for at least 20 minutes.